Monday, October 18, 2010

The Importance of the Bromance for emotionally balanced heterosexual men

This weekend amounted to what was much needed bromancing. I did not realize that I was lacking in this department but as both of my partners live at least 800 miles away it is hard to get my fix. I would like to mention here that yes I do have more than one bromance, yes that amounts to cheating and no I'm not about to stop.

For a long time I was weary of relationships with other men. There were some seminal relationships in my life that had gone arye (that is actually how that word is spelled I checked) so I assumed that it was best to avoid friendships with men. I have a number of female friends, in part because sociology has a high number of women in it and in part because I have a calming presence which they find comforting (or so I'm told). These relationships are all well in good but something was always lacking.

Enter the bromance, I know this new found word has yielded quite a number of jokes and a movie (not great but not terrible) but I think it downplays the importance of spending time with the guys. I understand that friendships, even the life long ones, take a back seat to the most important people in one's life wives, children, parents etc but that in no way diminishes their importance. With that said there is something different about the bromance. Each of the relationships I mentioned has a different dynamic than the man-to-man friendship; it offers a feeling of brotherhood that is not matched in other relationships. In my case, the kinship I have with my actual brothers cannot be matched by the bromance. This is not to say I am not close with my brothers, I am, but as I am the oldest by six years and ten years I am more of a mentor at this point in my life.

Now for the purpose of this whole diatribe. Do not interrupt the bromance. There are many responsibilities that come before time spent with close friends and that time is treasured accordingly. Personally such interactions leave me in a place of balance that is hard to reproduce in other ways.

In sum, bromance = awesome and be nice to it.  That is a scientific fact and disputing it will result in consequences so dire they would force Dick Cheney to give up shooting his friends in the face.  We all know how much he likes to do that so beware.

Also, I have sold out already.  I have gone through the steps to monetize my blog, as any good capitalist pig will do so there will be advertisements appearing shortly.  Feel free to regale me with insults and general name calling.

-theoreticalhero

1 comment: